Innovate UK are investing up to £15 million in innovation projects to stimulate the new products and services of tomorrow. The aim of this competition is to help businesses innovate to find new revenue sources. Applications are open but registration deadline is the 30 November.
The competition scope
Our Emerging and Enabling Technologies programme (E&E) identifies and invests in new technologies and the underpinning capabilities that improve existing industries. Our aim is to inspire the new products, processes and services of tomorrow; those with the potential to unlock billions of pounds of value to industry and disrupt existing markets.
An emerging technology is one that is progressing in, or has recently emerged from, the research base. It allows us to do something that was not possible before. Because of this, it disrupts existing markets and enhances value to customers. It can improve our lives and lead to new sources of wealth generation.
Enabling technologies underpin the development of high-value products and services in many industrial sectors and markets. They improve performance and productivity.
The aim of this competition is to help businesses broaden out innovation activities, to find new sources of revenue from new products, processes or services. Projects will:
- harness E&E technologies across the economy
- develop and scale-up research and development to bring ideas, processes and products closer to availability at scale and commercial release
- use design processes to understand customer motivations and behaviour and use that insight to create better products, services and processes
We are looking to fund a portfolio of projects that include:
- technical feasibility
- industrial research
- experimental development
We will choose a portfolio that achieves a balance across topic areas, timing and costs.
If your project falls outside these guidelines, please contact us at least 5 working days before the registration deadline to discuss further.
Projects must clearly show high-growth potential innovations in one or more of the following areas:
- any emerging technology that can demonstrate a step change in performance and the potential to disrupt existing industrial approaches; we are particularly looking to fund projects in energy harvesting, imaging technologies, graphene or biofilms
- any enabling technology in: satellite applications; electronics; sensors; photonics; digital; internet of things; data; cybersecurity; virtual or augmented reality; and distributed ledger technology
The type of innovation project will depend on the challenges and opportunities your business faces.
Proposals must show how project success will improve business growth and productivity and/or encourage export opportunities, including for at least one UK small and medium-sized enterprise (SME) involved in the project.
The aim of this competition is to help businesses innovate to find new revenue sources. Proposals should show how to achieve a step change in business growth, productivity and export opportunities for at least one UK small and medium-sized enterprise (SME). Innovate UK are expecting projects to range from total costs of £35,000 to £2 million. There are two streams of funding to apply for in this competition, dependent on project size and length.
Register before noon on 30th November 2016
Apply before noon on 7 December 2016